In July 2013, the Ohio State University at Marion started a program to attempt to achieve zero waste. They created a partnership between their campus, Marion Technical College, Marion Correctional Institution Recycling Processing Center, and Sims Brothers Recycling. Sims Brothers collects solid waste and sorts out anything that can be recycled. Other waste is composted.
The goal was to recycle or compost 90% of the campus’ waste. By September, they were already diverting 82% of waste from landfills. Their program keeps 90 tons of waste from landfills each year, and saves $5100 per year for the campus.
How Can You Reduce Your Waste?
- Use reusable water bottles and grocery bags.
- Use reusable rags instead of paper towels, and cloths or bandanas instead of napkins.
- Use reusable containers instead of Ziplocs.
- Collect shower water while it’s heating up, and use it for watering plants.
- Buy in bulk to use less packaging.
- Print double-sided.
- Sign up for electronic bills.
- Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.